The E-learning industry has grown into a multi-billion dollar industry. It has revolutionized the way of learning and teaching. Learning now has become possible outside of the classroom as well.
E-learning has made learning possible from anywhere and anytime without disturbing your schedule. Moreover, online learning helps to collect the strength and weaknesses of the students making the learning experience personalized.
Furthermore, the compound annual growth rate from the year 2018 to 2026 of the e-learning market is predicted to reach 9.1%.
Interesting, isn’t it? The way in which e-learning has made its growth. In the following article, I have compiled incredible and shocking e-learning statistics one should know. You will come across the e-learning market, corporate e-learning, the effect of the pandemic on e-learning, etc.
Table of Contents
- E-learning Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- General E-learning Statistics
- E-Learning Market Statistics
- E-learning Statistics –Massively Open Online Courses (MOOC) Statistics
- E-learning Statistics for K-12
- E-learning Statistics –Trends in and out of Academia
- E-Learning Statistics for Business
- Corporate eLearning Statistics
- E-learning Statistics by Country
- E-learning Statistics – Course Creator Statistics
- E-learning Statistics–Barriers to eLearning
- Covid-19 and its Effect on Online Learning Trends for 2023.
- Wrapping Up: E-learning Statistics
E-learning Statistics 2023 (Top Picks)
- The e-learning market globally is estimated to be worth $325 billion by the end of the year 2025.
- Currently, over 3 million students are using the eLearning platform.
- 25-60% of the retention is increased with the help of e-learning.
- Between the years 2020 and 2024, the e-learning market in the US is predicted to grow by $12.81 billion.
- There will be an increase of $38.09 billion in the corporate e-learning market between the years 2020-2024.
- 42% of the income of US organizations has increased due to e-learning.
- 218% higher revenue per employee is generated with the help of comprehensive training programs, and 24% higher profit margins are generated.
- 37% of the learners reported that the online learning experience is better than classroom lessons.
- 43% of the learners felt that digital study technologies were quite helpful for doing homework and self-study.
- In the preceding 12 months, 49% of the students have taken at least one online course.
- In the year 2022, Students who have subscribed to at least one MOOC course reported being 220 million.
- Due to the pandemic, more than 80% of schools have purchased more technology appliances for students.
- It is seen that the failing grades have decreased by 30% due to an increase in eLearning.
- eLearning has created a socioeconomic divide, with over 26% to 34% of the students not having access to resources.
- The average money spent to buy e-learning products by the US government was $2.59 billion.
- According to recent statistics, there are over 41.6% of graduate students have completed more than 30 online courses.
General E-learning Statistics
The E-learning industry has grown tremendously in the past year. Students are attracted to the flexibility and ease of learning it offers. The industry has also contributed to the growth of other sectors.
- E-learning helps the learners to increase the retention rate by 25 to 60% of what is studied and learned.
- 42% of the US organisations are benefited from the income from e-learning in the US.
- Self-paced learning is estimated to grow with a CAGR of 8.2% in the year 2021 to 2026.
- 86% fewer greenhouse gases are produced due to the e-learning courses.
- E-learning courses can be completed 60% faster than in-person courses.
- The completion rate of the online courses is 72%.
- It is noted that 13% of the students are facing trouble with their assignments.
- Among the online degrees, 46.4% are business-related, computer science or health courses.
- Over 72% of K-12 students use cloud-based education tools for online learning.
- According to a study by Glassdoor, the average salary for professional eLearning developers is $79,526.
Source: Statista, Tech jury, research.com
E-Learning Market Statistics
The E-learning market is one of the fastest-growing industries in the world. It has led to tremendous growth in the economy of the world.
- The global e-learning market is expected to hit $350 billion by the end of the year 2025.
- The E-learning market has completed 22 in the industry.
- Over the next 5 years, European e-learning is anticipated to grow by at least $28 billion.
- It is estimated that the market will experience a 200% increase between the years 2020 to 2025.
- The e-learning market in the US could grow by $12.81 billion between the years 2020 to 2024.
- Mobile learning could be worth $80.1 billion globally by the year 2027.
- For high-speed internet, for the people, the US government has allocated $65 billion.
- The value of the global e-learning platform in the year 2026 will be $457.8 billion.
- Since the year 2000, over 900% of growth has been observed in the e-learning industry.
- There is 19% growth every year of the global e-learning industry.
- By the end of the year 2022, the e-learning industry worldwide will surpass $243 billion.
- 59% of the US market share comes from e-learning that is content related.
Source: Exploding topic, Tech Jury, reporter link.
Related Reads: eLearning Startups
E-learning Statistics –Massively Open Online Courses (MOOC) Statistics
MOOCs are the biggest contributors to the e-learning industry. They have provided a platform to connect learners with the course providers. E-learning was promoted to reach at next level with the support of MOOC.
- $25.33 billion will be the worth of the MOOC market by the end of the year 2025.
- There has been a 4358% increase in the number of registered learners on the Coursera platform over the past 5 years.
- 98% of the learners enrolled in the Coursera course, which has a 4-star or higher rating.
- In 2019, it was noted that MOOC’s value stood at $5.16 billion.
- Experts state that MOOC expects over 29% growth annually in the market from 2020 to 2025.
- By 2025, MOOC is estimated to have a market share of $21.4 billion.
- According to recent stats, North America contributes to 29.4% of the global MOOC market.
- Teachable is the second most popular eLearning platform.
- The data from Udemy stated that Udemy has over 295 million enrollments.
Let’s have a look at the popular MOOC providers with the number of active learners. (2020)
- LinkedIn Learning has over 16,000 courses in 7 different languages.
- Skillshare has around 4 million users and over 24,000 courses.
- #1 subject among the top 100 free online courses is Technology.
- 52% of the people that sign up for online learning courses don’t use the course material at all.
- Massively open courses (MOOCs) are used by more than 180 million learners.
- Free courses have less chance of being completed by the learners over the paid ones.
- 19.3% of the e-learning courses are dedicated to the domain of Technology.
- With over 50 million students enrolled, Udemy is the most popular online learning platform.
- A 5-start rating was given by 81% of the Coursera learners for the course they were enrolled in.
- AWS and Udacuty collaborated and offered 425 scholarships to underrepresented groups and women.
- With more than 3 million students and 20,000 individual courses, Teachable is the second most popular e-learning platform.
E-learning Statistics for K-12
- During the year 2019-2020, 300k K-12 students enrolled in online learning.
- 1.6 billion students were unable to attend school at the peak of covid-19.
- 15% of the households with school children in the US lack internet facilities at home.
- In the year 2020, the graduation rate for K-12 students was only 54.6%.
- 24 states offered supplemental classes with academic tutoring for approximately 462,000 students.
- 85% of the high school students took extra classes along with the required classes.
- 40% of the courses helped the students with AP or prepare for college-level courses.
- 81.9% of primary schools offered at least one online course.
- There was an increase in the collaboration of digital teaching with other apps by 141%.
- For the K-12 online learning market, it is expected the growth of 12% by 2025.
- Similarly, for the K-8 online education market, it is expected the growth of 8% by 2023.
Let’s have a look at the k-12 students who use digital learning tools in everyday studies.
(Source: New schools)
|Type of school||Percentage|
|Middle school students||64%|
|High school students||63%|
Source: Exploding topics, tech jury, Statista.
E-learning Statistics –Trends in and out of Academia
- 73% of US students wish to continue taking online classes even after the pandemic.
- 57% of US students have a positive outlook on the e-learning platform as compared to that before the pandemic.
- 81% of college students believed that online learning rendered great help in improving their grades.
- Affordability was among the top 3 factors to go for online education over traditional education.
- With 50% of online enrollments, the University of Florida is the highest-ranked eLearning school in the US.
- Zoom was used by over 90,000 schools in 20 countries to hold online lectures.
- Almost 20% of college students reported that they completed 100% of their syllabus and coursework on a tablet or a phone.
- 43% of college students in the US felt that digital study technologies helped them a lot to complete their homework and assignments.
- In a classroom during a typical week, 56% of the students tend to use laptops.
- 81% of college students believed that online learning helped them to improve their grades.
- In the preceding 12 months, 49% of the students globally stated that they needed to take an online course.
- 33% of the post-secondary schools decided to continue offering remote or online courses even after the campuses had shifted to normal completely.
- Since the pandemic in the year 2020, 98% of universities have started their classes online.
- In the year 2020, 63% of the educational institutes made investments to support online learning platforms.
- Around 65% of schools in the US planned to operate completely online in the year 2021.
- 33% of the students in college take an online course.
- Approximately 30% of educational institutions use BlackBoard in North America to provide students with a learning management system.
- 17% of the women enroll in distance learning, while 13% of the men enroll in the same.
- 45% of the students in elementary school daily use digital learning tools.
Source: exploding topics, Statista, Think impact, NCES.
E-Learning Statistics for Business
- There are 26% of the undergraduate and 30% of the graduate students enrolled in business classes making business the top subject for college learning.
- Out of every 5, 2 Fortune companies take advantage of e-learning.
- Around 93% of companies are planning to adopt online learning.
- There was an increase in the employment rate by 18% due to e-learning. It is believed by 72% of organizations that e-learning helps to increase their competitive edge.
- In the year 2017, 77% of companies used e-learning platforms.
- E-learning is utilized by 40% of fortune 500 companies.
- Online learning is adopted by 93% of companies on a global scale.
- Companies with an employee count of 10,000 or more invest an average of 50% of their L&D budget for the e-learning process.
- Companies with approximately 200 to 1,000 employees spend an average of 37% of their L&D budget on providing e-learning to employees.
- 28% of organizations tend to provide all of their training online.
Source: tech jury, Statista, think impact.
Corporate eLearning Statistics
- Some forms of digital learning courses are offered to employees by 90% of companies.
- More than 77% of US companies provide online learning opportunities to their employees.
- Moreover, more than 67% of the companies offered eLearning opportunities via mobile devices.
- Over 44% of corporate employees globally believe that eLearning courses are effective.
- According to the estimated data, Global corporate eLearning marketing is expected to achieve a $44.6 billion value by 2028.
Let’s have a look at eLearning effectiveness by type of technology.
|Type of technology||Percentage|
|Mentoring and coaching||83%|
|Online simulation games||54%|
|Virtual instructor-led training||52%|
|Mobile device notifications||20%|
- 68% of the employees had an opinion that they prefer to learn at work.
- 82% of the employees had a view that interactive videos attracted their attention more than non-interactive videos.
- 61% of the corporate & development experts believe that covering the skill gap is the top goal of the e-learning campaigns of the corporates.
- According to 81% of the employees, there is a skill gap in corporate society.
- IBM managers learned 5X more content by adding e-learning into their training process.
- $34 million was saved by Dow Chemical by offering online training and education.
- The corporate e-learning market is estimated to reach $38.09 billion between the years 2020 and 2024.
- It takes 40 to 60% less time to complete corporate e-learning in comparison to the traditional method of learning.
- The productivity of the employees is improved by 15-25% due to e-learning.
- 24 minutes on average, are spent by an employee per week on learning.
- 1% of the average workweek is dedicated to training and development.
- The factors like self-paced learning and no travelling are the motivators for employees to online learning.
- ABB uses e-learning for 80% of employee training. This led to an increase in six-fold in supply chain online training.
- If the managers offered the courses, 56% of the employees would prefer to spend more time in the learning process.
E-learning Statistics by Country
- The e-learning platforms in Germany will have an approximate growth of a minimum of 22% by the end of the year 2028.
- According to recent data, there is 330% annual market growth seen in the global markets, including Thailand, India, China and the Philippines.
- US and Europe comprise the majority of the e-learning industry.
- From the year 2020 to 2026, the Asia pacific e-learning market is predicted to grow by 11%.
- By the end of the year 2026, the Asia Pacific e-learning market will cross $90 billion.
- In the year 2021, the highest number of remote learners enrolled on the Coursera platform were from India and US.
- $8.6 billion will be the value of the e-learning market in India by the end of the year 2026.
- The e-learning market in Europe has expected to grow by $28 billion in the coming 5 years.
- According to the data from broadbandsearch.net, Europe is expected to grow to $28 billion in the next five years for the market for eLearning.
- In India, the market for eLearning is expected to grow to over $8.6 billion by 2026.
- Moreover, it is estimated that the online education market in India will reach around $14.33 billion by 2024.
E-learning Statistics – Course Creator Statistics
- 3 months or more are spent by 53% of the course creators to create their courses.
- There is an increase of 38% in teachable content creators earning 6 figures.
- $137 is the average cost of an online course.
- E-learning courses consume 90% less energy as compared to face-to-face training and 85% less CO2.
- The learning management system is predicted to grow by 14.2% between the years 2022 and 2029.
- Approximately 65% of the faculty members of the US advocate for online learning and educational resources.
- Around $3k per month is earned by the top teachers in skill share on average.
- It costs, on average, $144 to $10,800 to create an online course.
- The median price of an online course is $177.
E-learning Statistics–Barriers to eLearning
- Science teachers that found the technology adequate for learning accounted for 34% to 48%.
- In the year 2012, 55% of the K 12 teachers reported of lack of computers for students to use.
- In the year 2015, 13% of high school students and 21% of middle school students didn’t have access to the needed learning technologies.
- There was a 50% less chance of having high-speed internet in the high minority schools.
- 23% of the Hispanic households and 25% of the black households lacked access to high-speed internet.
- Enrollment in online schools was prohibited by 20 states.
- There are approximately 25% of 15-year-old students lack proper access to computers and other technologies due to their disadvantaged backgrounds.
- 63% of the online instruction received in the year 2020 through online mode was considered as worse.
Source: Think Impact
Covid-19 and its Effect on Online Learning Trends for 2023.
- During the covid-19 pandemic, schools were closed down for 1.6 billion students.
- After covid-19, 43% of educational institutions have started looking forward to e-learning modules.
- Approximately 98% of the examinations conducted are conducted online mode.
- The e-learning platform on mobile will continue to grow at the rate of 25% CAGR between the years 2022 and 2028.
- 59% of the learners reported that they had to enroll in online learning due to the pandemic.
Source: Prosperity for America
Wrapping Up: E-learning Statistics
The e-learning statistics made it clear that the future of learning is online learning. Whether you are in the corporate world, school, or a self-learner, e-learning will provide you with the required classes irrespective of your domain and niche. Online classes are highly in demand due to their great quality and flexibility.
All the content creators focus on creating online courses, and all the platforms tend to support e-learning. One must surely take advantage of such situations and invest their free time in learning.
I think that the above E-learning Statistics 2023 has helped you to gain valuable insights into the e-learning industry and its trends. If I missed any important stats, do mention them in the comment section below. I keep updating the stats article, your comments may help to make them better.
- Coursera Plus Discount 2023 (Get $309 OFF | September) - September 21, 2023
- Teachable Black Friday 2023: Is The Deal Live? - September 18, 2023
- Grammarly Premium Discount 2023 | Exclusive 20 Off Coupon - September 18, 2023