Admission statistics are of great help when looking for the latest trends in the admission and acceptance rates of the students in your dream college. These Admission Statistics provide insight into the number of admitted students in the nation’s top colleges in different years.
In this article, we have compiled all the details about the admission rates of the colleges and the number of students admitted over the past years. You will also come across the details about the acceptance rates, the volume of applications, etc., of the top colleges.
Table of Contents
- College Acceptance Rates – Admission Statistics
- General Admission Statistics – Admission Statistics
- College Enrollment by Degree Level
- College Admissions Rates – Admission Statistics
- College Enrollment In The United States – Admission Statistics
- Undergraduate Enrollment In The US – Admission Statistics
- College Enrollment by Age
- Wrapping Up: Admission Statistics (Top Picks)
College Acceptance Rates – Admission Statistics
The college acceptance rates vary every year. According to the admission trends in the academic year, there may be an increase or decrease in the acceptance rates of the colleges. In the following section, we have listed some crucial facts and figures about college acceptance rates.
- The average acceptance rate in the United States is 68%.
- The average acceptance rate for public colleges was 64.20%, and the average rate for private schools was 51.07%. (College Tuition Compare 2023)
- Only 3.19% of the students were accepted to Harvard University for the class of 2026.
- According to the common app, there is a 21.3% increase in overall college application submissions for the class of 2026.
- Harvard University received 61,221 applicants, from which 1,984 applications were accepted, with an acceptance rate of 3.2%.
Let’s have a look at the number of student enrollments from 2015-2020.
|Year||Number of enrolled freshman students||Share off first-time applicants granted admission to enroll|
6. 10.3% was the acceptance rate of Cornell University during the admission process in the year 2022.
7. Only 3.73% of the students were accepted into Columbia University during the admissions in the year 2022.
The following table provides a breakdown of the acceptance rates at Top Institutions.
|California Institute of Technology||4%|
|University of Chicago||6%|
|University of Pennsylvania||6%|
|Johns Hopkins University||8%|
|University of California||11%|
General Admission Statistics – Admission Statistics
The admission rates in colleges have decreased over the past years. Here are a few Admission Statistics that provide general information on various colleges around the globe.
8. According to the reports from SEVIS, there are around 1.08 million international students as of 2023. It is a 5.4% decrease from 2020 due to the onset of the pandemic.
9. 18.99 million college students were there in the US in the year 2020.
10. In 2023, over 16.9 million students were enrolled in post-secondary colleges. More than 14.2 million students enrolled in the undergraduate program, while 3 million students were admitted to graduate-level programs.
11. The most common field of study selected by the new students in OECD countries is Business, Administration and law.
12. Engineering is the most common field of study preferred by international students in the United States.
13. The highest number of international students in the United States are from China and India.
14. Up to 90% of the colleges declared to keep tests as optional criteria for admission. This will result in more students being admitted into their dream college without appearing for any tests.
15. Admission rates are predicted to remain low in the upcoming years.
16. Personal and supplemental essays will continue to play essential roles in admissions.
17. Submitting an SAT or ACT score above 50% will help the students in their college admissions.
18. Sports will play an important role in college admissions in the next two cycles.
19. Around 57,081,334 students have applied for the academic year 2022-2023, among which 33,022,263 were admitted to US colleges.
The following data suggests the total number of applicants, the number of admitted students, and the total number of enrolled students for 2022-2023.
|4 Years (or high)||23,042,138||20,203,986||5,314,295|
|Less than 2 years||16,743||9,154||6,525|
|4 years (or high)||24,749,546||12,608,738||2,6623,524|
|Less than 2 years||16,473||13,192||9,235|
College Enrollment by Degree Level
Most college students begin out as freshmen, and bachelor’s degrees are more common than associate degrees at this stage.
20. As of 2023, 7.9 million people were going to college to get a bachelor’s degree.
21. There were 4 million people getting their associate degrees.
22. 3 million students were engaged in graduate programs like master’s and doctoral degrees, professional studies like medical and law degrees, and other graduate-level training programs.
Here is a percentage of enrollment by degree level for 2023.
|Degree level||Percent of enrollment|
|Graduate or Professional||17.3%|
College Admissions Rates – Admission Statistics
The college admission rates vary from the college acceptance rates. They determine the number of college students admitted in a particular academic year. Let us take a look at the admission statistics of Ivy League colleges and other well-known colleges across the nation.
23. 42,749 was the annual volume application of Harvard in the year 2022.
24. Stanford had an annual volume application of 47,450 in the year 2022.
The following table includes the details about the annual volume of applications the Ivy League colleges from the year 2017 to 2022.
25. There was an 8.29% change in the volume of applications to Brown University in the year 2022 as compared to the year 2021.
The following table breaks down the change in the volume of applications to the Ivy League from the year 2017 to 2022.
26. 1,962 students were admitted to Harvard University in the year 2022.
27. In the year 2022, 2,071 students were admitted to Stanford University.
The following table highlights the number of admitted students into Ivy League colleges from the year 2017 to 2022.
28. 4.59% was the admit rate of Harvard University in the year 2022.
29. 4.36% was the admit rate of the students at Stanford University.
The following table displays the admit rates of the colleges in the Ivy League from the year 2017 to the year 2022.
30. 14,484 students have been admitted to Boston University in the year 2022.
31. 15,468 students have been admitted to Michigan University in the year 2022.
32. 32,291 students applied to Chicago University in the year 2022.
33. The acceptance rate of Boston University is 22.47%, while that of Boston College is 27.10% in the year 2022.
34. In the year 2022, Virginia University admitted 9,850 students.
35. 3,116 students were admitted to Duke University in the year 2021.
36. The admission rate of the students at Caltech University in the year 2021 was 7.15. In the year 2022, it was only 6.55%.
The following table highlights the admission rates, volume of applications, and the number of admitted students in different colleges in the United States in the years 2021 and 2022.
|University||2021 Admit||Volume of application|
|2021 Admit rates(%)||2022 Admit||Volume of application|
|2022 Admit rates(%)|
|UC Los Angeles||16,494||102,232||16.13||16,020||113,409||14.13|
|UC San Diego||30,204||88,463||34.14||29,577||97,670||30.28|
|UC Santa Barbara||26,879||81,828||32.85||29,782||92,017||32.37|
|Washington University in St. Louis||4,875||30,464||16.00||4,708||31,320||15.03|
|William & Mary||5,220||14,915||35.00||5,270||16,640||31.67|
Sources: NCES, US news.
College Enrollment In The United States – Admission Statistics
The college enrollment statistics give an insight into the number of students enrolled in different universities. In the following section, we have listed student enrollment statistics according to the institution type and gender of the students.
37. 14.77 million have enrolled in public universities, while 5.26 million students have enrolled in private universities in the year 2022.
The following table gives details about the number of students that have enrolled in public and private colleges over the years.
|Year||Public University||Private University|
|2000||11.75 million||3.56 million|
|2005||13.02 million||4.47 million|
|2010||15.14 million||5.88 million|
|2011||15.12 million||5.89 million|
|2012||14.88 million||5.76 million|
|2013||14.75 million||5.63 million|
|2014||14.65 million||5.55 million|
|2015||14.57 million||5.42 million|
|2016||14.59 million||5.26 million|
|2017||14.57 million||5.21 million|
|2018||14.54 million||5.11 million|
|2019||14.5 million||5.13 million|
|2020||13.87 million||5.12 million|
|2021||14.98 million||5.35 million|
|2022||14.77 million||5.26 million|
|2025||14.72 million||5.22 million|
|2028||14.96 million||5.32 million|
|2030||15.1 million||5.38 million|
38. Around 1.22 million male students were enrolled in post-baccalaureate courses in 2020.
39. 1.92 million female students enrolled in post-baccalaureate courses in the year 2020.
The following table highlights the number of male and female students enrolled in post-baccalaureate courses in U.S. universities over the past years.
40. 1.3 million males and 2.03 million females are expected to enroll in post-baccalaureate courses in U.S. universities in the year 2030.
Undergraduate Enrollment In The US – Admission Statistics
Student enrollment statistics in the undergraduate course will help high school students know the details about the admission rates of the colleges they are aspiring to enroll in. Let us take a look at the enrollment rates of undergraduate colleges in the United States.
41. 20.2 million students enrolled for the undergraduate degree in the academic year 2021- 2022.
42. In the year 2021-2022, there was a decrease of 800,000 students as compared to the number of students enrolled in the previous year.
The following table highlights the number of students enrolled in undergraduate courses over the past years.
|Academic Year||Number of Students Enrolled.|
|2011 – 2012||24.8 million|
|2012 – 2013||24.1 million|
|2013 – 2014||23.7 million|
|2014 – 2015||23.2 million|
|2015 – 2016||22.8 million|
|2016 – 2017||22.5 million|
|2017 – 2018||22.2 million|
|2018 – 2019||22.1 million|
|2019 – 2020||21.8 million|
|2020- 2021||21 million|
|2021 – 2022||20.2 million|
43. 107,300 students of American Indian origin or Alaskan Native heritage in the year 2020 enrolled in universities in the United States.
The following table highlights the number of students of different ethnicity enrolled in colleges in the United States in the year 2020.
|Ethnicity||Number of students||Percent of students Enrolled|
|American Indian/ Alaska Native||107.3||0.7%|
|Two or more races||669||4.3%|
College Enrollment by Gender
44. According to the data from NCES, in 2023, Compared to around 7.1 million males, about 10 million female undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in colleges.
45. Women outnumbered males in two-year public, four-year public, four-year private nonprofit, and four-year private for-profit institutions.
46. Around 2.3 million women and 1.6 million men were enrolled in private nonprofit universities.
College Enrollment by Age
In the spring of 2023, the average age of full-time undergraduates was approximately 22.5 years old.
The following table suggests the average age of college students in 2023.
|Type of Student||Average Age|
|Graduate/professional students full-time||30.1|
|Graduate/professional students Part-time||35.3|
College Enrollment by State
California has the most student enrollment in 2023.
Here is a detailed overview of the college enrollment by state.
|State||2023 Enrollment||Percent change from the previous year|
Wrapping Up: Admission Statistics (Top Picks)
- 14.2 million students were enrolled in undergraduate courses in the year 2023.
- About 16.9 million students were registered in degree-granting schools and universities in the U.S. in the spring of 2023.
- About 58% of college students in the spring of 2023 were women.
- Having an SAT or ACT score above 50% will help the student in college admissions.
- Havard has the least acceptance rate of 3.4%.
- According to the US News, the University of California (Los Angeles) has the highest annual volume of applications. In 2023, 108,877 students applied for the admission procedure at the university.
- In the year 2022, the admission rate of the students at Caltech University was only 6.7%.
- Michigan University has an acceptance rate of 20% in 2023. This means 20 out of 100 applicants are accepted.
- There were 5.26 million enrollments in private universities and 14.77 million enrollments in public universities in the year 2022.
- 1,282,000 males and 1,950,000 females enrolled in post-baccalaureate courses in the universities of the United States in 2022.
- According to the statistics from research.com, since 2020, public universities and colleges have seen an increase of 24% in common applications, while private institutions have increased by 17%.
- Grammarly Black Friday Deals 2023 | 20% Off (November) - November 23, 2023
- Coursera Plus Black Friday Sale 2023 ($1 Offer Live) - November 23, 2023
- Mindvalley Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2023 (40% OFF) - November 23, 2023