Zoom is an online conferencing platform founded in the year 2011 by Eric Yuan. After the pandemic hit, it became one of the most well-known platforms and was globally used by most organizations for video conferencing and virtual meetings.
More than 400K people signed up for Zoom during the first month of the pandemic. In the year 2020, the revenue of Zoom skyrocketed as most businesses and organizations started conducting online meetings, interviews and calls.
In this article, I have compiled all the interesting facts related to Zoom. We will also take a look at the marketplace of zoom, revenue generated, and detailed stats on its users.
Table of Contents
- Zoom User Statistics (Top picks)
- General Zoom Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom Usage Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Global Zoom Usage Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom demographic statistics
- Zoom Customer statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom market share – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom Revenue Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom Fatigue – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom development and issues – Zoom User Statistics
Zoom User Statistics (Top picks)
- The daily participants in the Zoom meetings are approximately equal to 350 million.
- In the year 2020, there were 485 million downloads of the Zoom App.
- During the year 2000-2021, Zoom was the fastest-growing application and grew by 2900%.
- More than 3.3 trillion minutes are used by Zoom users for meetings and video conferences.
- In the year 2021, the total revenue generated by Zoom increased by 326% and $2.7 billion over the year.
- 50% of the Zoom users on iPad and iPhone are under the age of 35.
- Zoom user fatigue hits 14% of women in comparison to 5.5% of men.
- The United States has 55% of Zoom users.
- 64% of the revenue of Zoom comes from its business customers with more than ten employees.
- Contributing to the Zoom Apps revenue, 1644 Zoom business customers are paying $100,000 per year.
- More than 100,000 schools are currently using Zoom meetings.
Let’s have a look at the detailed figures of Zoom statistics.
|Daily zoom meeting users||350 million daily average users|
|Weekly zoom active users||10 million|
|Annual meeting minutes||303 trillion meeting minutes every year.|
|Annual webinar minutes||45 billion webinar minutes|
|Total number of participants on Zoom||Up to 1000 participants at a time.|
|Paid business customers||467,100|
|Most Zoom user country||United States|
|Zoom monthly active users||12.92 million|
|Zoom employees 2021||4,422|
|Zoom annual Revenue 2022||$4 billion|
General Zoom Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- Zoom has offices in 10 different countries and 14 offices.
- During one meeting, 1,000 participants can be hosted via Zoom.
- The average meeting length of meetings on Zoom is between 31 to 60 minutes.
- Two meetings can be hosted at the same time on Zoom.
- The Zoom app consumes approximately 810 MB to 2.4 Gb per hour for group meetings.
- The number of employees in Zoom is 6,269.
- There were 485 million downloads of the Zoom App in the year 2020.
- In the years 2020 and 2021, Zoom was among the fastest-growing apps, with an increase in the number of meeting participants by 2,900%.
- $4 billion in revenue was generated in the year 2021. There was a 53% increase year-on-year in revenue.
- In the year 2021, there was an increase of 53% in revenue as compared to the year 2020 and an increase of 2319% in 2020 as compared to the year 2019.
- Only 20% of Zoom users actively listen and provide live feedback.
- 27% of the Zoom users reported that they pay attention to the meetings only when they tend to hear their names.
- 27% of the zoom users pay attention to the meetings but tend to stay silent.
- 26% of the zoom users reported that they try to pay attention to the meetings, but they often zone out.
- In May 2020, ZOom acquired an encryption company key base.
- More than 100 people worldwide volunteer at Zoom.
- Zoom was named the second best place to work in 2019, as decided by the employees.
- On average, there were over 170 million API engagements per month for the fiscal year 2020.
- More than 2,500 third-party developers are engaged with the Zoom App marketplace platform.
- Zoom has added over 300 new features in 2019.
Source: Zoom, Backlinko.
Zoom Usage Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- 64% of the customers reported that they used Zoom to contact their family and friends.
- AS of reported in the year 2020, Zoom had approximately 300 million participants in daily meetings.
- 86% of the organizations in the year 2020 used video conferencing platforms to conduct interviews for the candidates.
- Global investments by organizations in building virtual teams increased by 2500%.
- Every year, 3.3 trillion meetings are hosted by Zoom.
- In the year 2020, the Zoom mobile app was downloaded 485 million times.
- There are approximately 470,000 paying business customers of Zoom.
- The meeting minutes hosted over various years on Zoom are as follows:
|Date||Quarterly Meeting Minutes|
|Q3 Fiscal year 2021||3.3 trillion|
|Q2 Fiscal year 2021||20 trillion|
|Q1 Fiscal year 2021||2.6 trillion|
|Q4 Fiscal year 2020||101 billion|
|Q3 Fiscal year 2020||97 billion|
|Q2 Fiscal year 2020||79 billion|
|February 2019||60 billion|
|June 2016||6 billion|
|December 2013||200 million|
- There was a growth of 7.14% in the webinar minutes conducted on Zoom between the second and third quarters of the year 2021.
- The following table has the data of the annual webinar minutes:
|Quarter, fiscal year||Annualized webinar minutes|
|Q2 2020||2 billion|
|Q3 2020||3 billion|
|Q4 2020||3 billion|
|Q1 2021||42 billion|
|Q2 2021||42 billion|
|Q3 2021||45 billion +|
- As of December 2019, Zoom had daily meeting participants approximately equal to 10 million.
- In the year 2020, the average of meeting participants on Zoom is equal to approximately 300 million.
|Date||Number of daily meeting participants|
|December 31, 2019.||10 million|
|March 31, 2020.||200 million|
|April 21, 2020.||300 million|
- Zoom is used by 89% of people for work purposes.
- Zoom hosts webinars of approximately 45 billion minutes every year.
Source: Zoom, Backlinko.
Global Zoom Usage Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- The United States consists of 50% of zoom users.
- 6% of the zoom users are from the United Kingdom.
- In March 2020, Zoom had 1.3 million downloads in Poland.
- The number of active daily users in the UK for both Android users and iOS users in 2020 was 1.7 million users.
- On the Google Play store, the app downloads by the French people were 353.75 thousand and 244.51 thousand on the Apple App store.
- 61% of the Zoom users are students, 30% are workers and 13% are retired individuals.
- Zoom was used by 36.23% of the respondents in the United States for remote work.
- Zoom was used by 41% of Mexican users for video and audio calls during the pandemic.
- Zoom was used by 32% of smartphone juicers in Brazil for video calls.
- There were 1.87 million users of Android in South Korea in March 2020.
- 27% of the zoom downloads, as of April 2021, are located in India.
- Between October 2019 and April 2020, the Zom traffic in Russia was 2.3 million.
- Zoom is used by 35% of enterprises in Japan.
- The traffic generated on Zoom by various countries is:
Source: Mobile time, Zoom, SimilarWeb, Backlinko.
Zoom demographic statistics
- Out of all the users who have downloaded the Zoom app, 24% of them were aged between 35 to 49 years.
- The age breakdown of the Zoom App userbase on iOS is as follows:
|Age group||Share of users|
- Between August 2019 to July 2020, Zoom had a high share owned by female users, approximately equal to 50.5%.
- 29% of the Zoom downloaders are aged between 35 to 49.
- 23% of the zoom users are aged between 25 to 34 years.
- The age breakdown of the Zoom users:
|Age group||Share of users|
Source: Appfigures, Zoom, Backlinko.
Zoom Customer statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- In the year 2020, 385,200 new licenses were issued by Zoom.
- At the end of the third quarter in the year 2021, there were more than 512,100 customers with more than 10 employees.
- The number of customers of Zoom with more than 10+ employees is as follows:
|Date||Number of customers with 10+ employees|
- Between Jan 2018 to Jan 2020, Zoom grew by 217.44%.
- There are more than 1,644 business customers of Zoom that pay more than $100,000 per year.
- The number of $100K+ customers over the year is as follows:
|Date||Number of customers contributing $100K+|
- 18% of the quarterly revenue of Zoom is generated from customer organizations that pay more than $100K.
- There are 88 customers of Zoom that contributed more than $1 million in annual revenue in the Q2 of FY 2021.
|Date||Number of Zoom Phone customers with 10+ employees|
Source: Zoom, Backlinko, Similar web.
- There is an increase of 383% in the valuation of Zoom since the year 2020.
- In the second quarter of the year 2021, Zoom was valued at more than $100 billion.
- There are 10,700 zoom phone customers that have more than ten employees.
- The global market share of video conferencing in the year 2028 is expected to reach $12.99 billion.
- Between the years 2021 and 2028, the global video conferencing market is predicted to grow at a rate of 10.9%.
- As of November 19 2021, the market value of Zoom summed up to approximately $74 million.
- Zoom is the leading web conferencing software and owns a market share of 38.21%.
- 5.49% of the global market share of web conferencing is owned by Zoom.
Here is a table showing the global market share of top web conferencing software.
- Approximately 60,052 companies use Zoom for communication.
Source: Zoom, WebminarDude, Enlyft, Backlinko.
Zoom Revenue Statistics – Zoom User Statistics
- The quarterly revenue has grown by approximately 600% science the year 2000.
- As of July 2021, the quarterly revenue generated was $1.021 billion.
- The revenue growth generated by Zoom every year amounted to 35%.
- In the third quarter of the year 2021, the revenue generated was $ 1,050.8 million.
- In the last quarter of the fiscal year 2021, Zoom generated a revenue of $882.
- The revenue generated by Zoom over the past years is:
|Quarter, fiscal year||Quarterly revenue|
|April 2017||$27 million|
|July 2017||$33 million|
|October 2017||$41 million|
|January 2018||$51 million|
|April 2018||$60 million|
|July 2018||$75 million|
|October 2018||$90 million|
|January 2019||$106 million|
|April 2019||$122 million|
|July 2019||$146 million|
|October 2020||$167 million|
|January 2020||$188 million|
|April 2020||$328 million|
|July 2020||$664 million|
|October 2021||$777 million|
|January 2021||$882 million|
|April 2021||$956 million|
|July 2021||$1.021 billion|
- The Annual revenue of Zoom from the year 2018 to 2021 is:
- The revenue generated by Zoom in different regions of the world is
|Fiscal Year||America||Asia-Pacific||Europe, Middle East and Africa|
Source: Zoom, Statista, Backlinko.
Zoom Fatigue – Zoom User Statistics
- Out of the respondents in US and UK who work remotely, 42% of them experienced Zoom fatigue from the start of the pandemic.
- 63% of the workers reported that they missed seeing the faces of their coworkers when they weren’t able to join the calls.
- It was reported that some Zoom users had around nine to ten video meetings in a day.
- There are 45 billion annual webinar minutes on Zoom.
- Less than 10% of the energy is required in Video conferencing as compared to in-person meetings.
- As compared to the physical conference, the amount of eye gaze is eight times higher in Zoom video conference.
- 14% of the women are affected by Zoom fatigue.
- Only 5.5 % of the men reported Zoom fatigue.
Source: Backlinko, CNBC.
Zoom development and issues – Zoom User Statistics
- 26.4 million was spent by Zoom for R&D at the end of Q1 2020.
- Zoom employs 40% more people in China in comparison with the last year.
- In Canada and Taiwan, video and audio calling solution is banned due to official and business reasons.
- Government agencies in countries like NASA, the German Foreign Ministry, the United States Senate and the Australian Defence force have banned Zoom.
- Around 15,000 Zoom meeting videos are posted online on social media apps like YouTube, Vimeo, etc.
- Zoom is banned in countries of Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Syria, and Ukraine.
- The expenses spent for research and development in different quarters of the fiscal year 2021 are
Source: Tech public, Backlinko, Business of Apps, Zoom.
Wrapping Up – Zoom User Statistics
That’s all about Zoom user statistics.
Zoom is one of the most used web conferencing platforms in the business world. Many statistics of the platform of the hit of the pandemic period are mindblowing.
Apart from that, many interesting trends can be seen in the revenue generated by Zoom and its marketplace.
I have made a point to list all the essential stats related to Zoom users. If there are some important stats that are left out, you may add them in the comment section. I usually keep updating the stats and will make sure to add yours and give the required credits.
- Grammarly Black Friday Deals 2023 | 20% Off (November) - November 23, 2023
- Coursera Plus Black Friday Sale 2023 ($1 Offer Live) - November 23, 2023
- Mindvalley Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2023 (40% OFF) - November 23, 2023